62475 California 1, Big Sur, CA 93920
|Sunday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
|Monday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
|Tuesday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
|Wednesday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
|Thursday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
|Friday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
|Saturday|| 08:00am — 05:00pm |
Reviews about New Camaldoli Hermitage
- Christopher KronenOct, 05 2018★ ★ ★ ★ ★My first visit to New Camaldoli was completely serendipitous. I had no idea that this monastic community even existed when driving along Highway 1 in 1986 I saw a large white cross as an apparent marker for a private dirt road.
I followed this long byway to the tippity top of the hill and the rest is history. Like the essayist and novelist, Pico Iyer, this has now become one of my favorite places to get away from it all.
It's certainly an ideal and one of the more convenient escapes to get away from the bright lights, blatant bling and excessive materialism of Las Vegas, NV - my current version of the not so real world.
And what's not to like? After all, it's Big Sur baby and it's absolutely, unabashedly beautiful! Feel free to book a retreat online to help support this relatively small religious community as it provides you with a rare opportunity to commune with the very best that Mother Nature has to offer.
These Camaldolese hermits (brothers of Saint Romuald - look up his extremely short and simple monastic rule online) with their welcoming retreat facilities and very musical Prior, are certainly much more approachable than my other solitude-loving and seriously silent friends back east in Vermont, the Carthusians.
If I remember correctly, Thomas Merton was here once while on what unexpectedly turned out to be his last trip to Asia which ended in his untimely death. Thus, if you are so inclined, this is just the place to engage in a bit of "Meditatio Pauperis in Solitudine" in the spirit of "The Seven Storey Mountain". +PAX.
Photos and maps
- Gamboa CampgroundEstablishment, Lodging, Campground, ParkBig Sur, Big Sur, CA 93920
- Demere D Lyndall MDEstablishment, Health, DoctorBig Sur, Big Sur, CA 93920+1 831-667-0900
- Limekiln Creek BridgeEstablishmentLimekiln Trail, Big Sur, CA 93920
- Indyne IncEstablishmentAnderson Peak, Big Sur, CA 93920+1 831-667-2627
Weather in Big Sur
|Dec, 03 2020 03:00am||13 ℃|
|Dec, 03 2020 06:00am||11 ℃|
|Dec, 03 2020 09:00am||11 ℃|
|Dec, 03 2020 12:00pm||10 ℃|
|Dec, 03 2020 03:00pm||10 ℃|
|Dec, 03 2020 06:00pm||14 ℃|
|Dec, 03 2020 09:00pm||16 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 12:00am||12 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 03:00am||9 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 06:00am||9 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 09:00am||9 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 12:00pm||9 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 03:00pm||9 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 06:00pm||15 ℃|
|Dec, 04 2020 09:00pm||17 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 12:00am||14 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 03:00am||10 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 06:00am||9 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 09:00am||9 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 12:00pm||9 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 03:00pm||8 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 06:00pm||15 ℃|
|Dec, 05 2020 09:00pm||17 ℃|